Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Humour in Thinking


Thinking is not all about being serious.  A common belief is that laughter is the best medicine and at least one laugh a day is great – three even better!  I have really great medicine in just watching my Henriettas every day, observing their seeming self-importance as they run about their business of chasing bugs or getting in on the “game”.  The game is when we scatter treats for them and one of the girls gets a bigger piece of bread; she will run about trying to find a place to put it down so she can eat it but the others of course are trying to get it away from her.

Remembering anecdotes from my childhood, that of my parents or even those of my nieces and nephews will always make me smile.  My sister-in-law Ronda has a real talent for keeping anecdotes alive and she is terrific at telling the stories.  I had written some of the early stories down in a little notebook so I do have those and now I really wish I had kept more of the stories Dad and Farmor told to us.

I do have one story about my Farmor (grandmother) that is quite funny and a little scandalous.  When Dad was still a teenager he was having a chat with his mother when they happened to discuss writing.  Farmor told a wonderful story and said she had been thinking of writing it down.  Dad was all for encouraging her until she said something that made his hair stand on end.  She mentioned that she had seen the movie but was sure no one would remember it.  What?  “But Mor that is stealing.”  He said.  She said “No one will remember the movie, it’s so old.”  Dad was shocked that his mother had no notion that she would be committing plagiarism.  Needless to say the book never got written.

Whenever I think of that story I laugh not only because of Dad’s true consternation that his mother had no notion she would be doing anything wrong but also the fact that she did not think it was bad. That is so unlike my otherwise very honest, upright darling grandmother!

Foibles in our families is a true garden of laughter.  Just hone that sense of humour because otherwise you may cry!

“The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest.”  Thomas Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment