Sunday, November 18, 2018

Celebrating a Beloved Aunt


I spoke a little bit about my Faster Jonna the other day and crediting her with her wonderful sense of “hygge”. For those having lived under a bushel these past few years “hygge” has been celebrated in a number of books and discussions perhaps in a hope to enlighten the world about why Danes are amongst the happiest people in the world. Certainly I have mentioned this feeling of coziness in my blogs before but I’d like to tell you about my darling aunt.
She could make an ordinary day into something special by simply setting a lovely little coffee table, a breakfast treat or a full on supper. First of all she had collected over the years a lot of little treasures, small vases, candlestick holders, crocheted egg warmers (made by my mother) and other little and large decorative things to set on the table. She always set her coffee table with true cup, saucer and sandwich or cake plate. I don’t believe she even owned a mug!
However all of this was merely a setting and to hygge you don’t really need to set a scene but that was Faster Jonna’s charm. The real sense of hygge comes from the down-home hospitality that one can exude without even trying. As I reflect more on my aunt’s charm I also feel very strongly that her sense of joy in life was a contributing factor in making any visit to her home or her table so hyggelig. She was always laughing, opening her arms wide as guests entered her home and one simply felt welcome immediately.
She was such a darling inspiration for me and I miss her very dearly. It was her birthday this week and I have been thinking about one memorable one we celebrated together as we walked along Bispensgade in Aalbørg on Beaujolais Night (her birthday). There were live lights everywhere (torches), wine glasses and open air seating (the first I had ever seen) and simply crowds of people having the best time. We walked arm in arm while Onkle Verner and Axel walked beside us, behind us, in front of us, as we laughed, giggled and just enjoyed ourselves in the simple revelry of the event.
Happy Birthday Faster Jonna!

No comments:

Post a Comment