Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Remember the Day When . . .


I’ve not had a whole lot of super-duper “ahh moments” in my life but certainly I can recall a great many moments with my parents and siblings that have been mind-bending, enlightening, humorous or character building (as evidenced in past blogs). I’ve had special moments with friends, colleagues and family for sure. But really mind blowing events, they have been rare and I thank heaven for that because those have generally been of a negative kind, such as the day JFK was shot, 9/11 and the day the doctor came in the little room and said “You have Stage 4 colon cancer, I am very sorry, but you are terminal.” Talk about a bullet between the eyes! No one wants to hear those words, trust me.
On the upside of that frightening pronouncement some time ago I found myself thinking and then experiencing a “fig-nut moment” (our family’s ahh moment) when I decided not to think about my time on earth as being only for x-amount of time. Instead I chose to live my life as though I still had my goal of 116 years! Don’t get me wrong, I am realistic and understand my diagnosis, however from the point of view of day to day living one ought not to think “well, I don’t think it’s worth it to do this or that because I won’t be here to see the results” (or similar words or thoughts). It really was a great moment for me because despite being positive, optimistic and joyful I was curbing my enthusiasm in certain ways and that curb was suddenly released.
So I would say to you to live your life to the full no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment