Friday, November 2, 2018

Putting a Garden to Sleep


I have been scurrying around the last couple of days in dreaded anticipation of the coming snow as I put my garden to sleep.  This has been an ongoing task since the Labour Day Weekend when in years past I would have it all done in one day.  It’s not so much my lack of stamina to endure the whole day, rather it is the fact that the garden has expanded so much. While I am not a “kitsch” type person I do have a number of statues and garden ornaments that have to be put into the garden shed. Then there are the various pots that need cleaning and putting away. Then there are all the pillows and cushions to be tucked in here and there. Lastly there are the pieces of furniture that won’t survive the harsh winter weather so they must be stacked into the garage.
This year has been particularly challenging because there is also all the residue stuff from the basement flood which has yet to be resolved.  Slowly but surely we are getting there . . . or should I say I am getting there. One stool here another table there.
While all of this is going on physically, mentally I am already planning what the garden need next year and what my wants will be. A big priority will be my moonlight walk which is still a shabby little show. Next year I want to knock it out of the park. In my head I know what I want it to look like, the question is can I get the muscle power to help me make that happen?
And my not so secret wish? I want a vending cart! A vending cart, you wonder. I have this vision of a perfectly huge slatted semi-wheelbarrow-like thingy. You know what I mean? I know no man will understand but all the ladies know exactly what is in my head, am I right?  Yes, laugh out loud because John is pulling out his hair trying to understand what I mean while at the same time he is saying it isn’t going to happen.
Why do I need my vending cart? Well, I read a book (yes, the dreaded “I read a book” scenario) that talked about “at the gate” sales. Since I am out in the country, yet so very close to the golf course I get a lot of traffic and my low budget plan is to snag the unsuspecting drivers to my “farm” to purchase my bounty. In order to catch their attention I think an unusual looking cart will be just the ticket.
So yes, as I put the garden to sleep I whisper to the trees and bushes “give me lots of fruit next year, my darlings, lots of fruit.”

No comments:

Post a Comment