Friday, November 16, 2018

Rye Bread and Other Things


I wrote about Mom’s rising rye bread yesterday but unfortunately the end result was not so very good!  Mom forgot to tell me she had put the bread in the oven so I never put the oven Timer on and 90 minutes later she had a loaf of brick rather than bread!  I think it has been many years since Mom had a FUBAR moment with her bread! I suggest she should send it out for the magpies to have a go at but she was afraid they would break their beaks!
The cause of her forgetting her bread was that she was knitting like a maniac (more than usual).  She knit 4 headbands by 3:00 and I then said “ok, that’s enough, you need to rest your arms” and suddenly she looked at the clock and ran into the back kitchen. Ouch in more ways than one! Poor Mamma. Fortunately John had bought some Canadian Rye Bread; not at all the same thing but at least she had a backup for her breakfast! With my ileostomy I am recommended to have only white bread which is a real bummer as I have been eating multigrain or whole wheat for decades and going back to white bread is like “sticking your tongue out the window and getting slapped” as Mom says in her Danish idiom! At least when I make it as toast I can spread my avocado, diced tomato and Havarti cheese on it and it tastes of something.
So one must be creative with these little but vital things like BREAD.

In case you are wondering Mom’s rye bread is the dark rye that is very typical of Danish meals, particularly with high rise open faced sandwiches commonly called “smorbrød” but also a breakfast bread when you aren’t spoiling yourself with their morning buns from the bakery. Which reminds me of one memorial morning jaunt to the bakery in Aabybrø; I was typically up early so thought I would surprise Faster Jonna og Axel so I got to the bakery and went berserk, bringing home at least 2 dozen "rundstykker" and pastries, all different sorts because they all looked so good I could not make up my mind! It was a terrific breakfast spread because of course Faster Jonna then had to make it all “hyggelig” and she was the Queen of Hygge – no one, and I mean no one – could hygge like Faster. (Faster is the Danish word for paternal aunt).
And this doesn't even do justice to the bakery I was in!
 
 
 
 
 
 
And now you know a lot (but not everything) about Bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment