Tuesday, June 26, 2018

A Lost Classmate


 At the high school reunions I met a classmate who technically never went to school with me.  Willi and I enjoyed each other at the various reunions but even though we worked in Calgary, downtown and at one point even in the same building we did not have the time to connect beyond the reunions until we had a small mini reunion at my place.  We spent quite a lot of time together over that weekend and we discovered how much we had in common.  We were both immigrant kids; she came to Canada from Holland at the age of 3, I a year later.  We had a particular love of precise English, we loved Scrabble, we were watching Coronation Street (me as a newbie but she over decades) and we were both about to retire from the oil industry.

As we found our freedom we also enjoyed patio lunches or brunches, went on hikes together and simply enjoyed each other’s company.  She also fell in love with my Mom (as many of my friends do) and pretty much adopted her.  Mom had a special affection for Willi as well.

Sadly our friendship ended abruptly with Willi’s sudden bout of cancer and quick death.  I was stunned to return from Phoenix last year to read on Facebook that there was going to be a Celebration of Life for Willi.  I hadn’t even known she was ill before she was gone.

People can come into our lives for brief periods of time but that time can make a profound impact.  In the case of Willi, not only did she bring insight and appreciation to the immigrant experience but her decision to choose a quick death has affected me in the deepest possible way.  Even strong and courageous people can surrender and say “this is too much”.

Rest in Peace Willi. 

No comments:

Post a Comment