Tuesday, June 5, 2018

My Trinidad Friend


Shortly after meeting Silvia a young lady from Trinidad moved to Winnipeg and landed in my home room as well as in a science class with me.  Otranee, better known as Ranee,  became the third in the “hallway trio”.  Every morning Silvia and I would be early birds at school and would hang out at a particular corner in the various hallways at Windsor Park Collegiate.  Ranee would join us before the bell and we would share our news, thoughts, but seldom real gossip as we were not part of any wider “crowd”.  It was probably a good thing although I have had a Pollyanna belief that when I was in school there weren’t “Mean Girls” like those we see movies or now hear about via social media. I’m probably wrong but fortunately for our group we did not experience ill treatment from others.
Ranee was my first “racial” friend if you will although I never saw her like that.  To me she was just a nice girl who I enjoyed talking with.  She had many interesting experience to tell us about Trinidad and she taught me about “lime” poetry.  She also had Silvia and I over playing on her brothers’ musically instruments.  I liked the drums and got pretty good at a couple of beats while Silvia strummed guitar.  Ranee is really big into her music today as is a couple of her brothers who I understand are very successful.
Ranee and I lost touch for a few years when she married a fellow Trinidadian and moved back to the island for several years.  She had a very dramatic life there but eventually made it back to Winnipeg and we reconnected both at the reunions and on Facebook.
Once again – I can only say, I sure know how to pick friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment