Monday, June 25, 2018

A Young Friend


Erik is someone that I have known since 2004 when we began working on my first big project as the Project Administrator.  Erik was an engineer in training at the time who was full of enthusiasm for the project.  In the beginning he was stationed directly in front of my office space and I would listen to him talking with another young man who was equally enthusiastic.  I used to smile at their conversation but I enjoyed them immensely.  It wasn’t long before I got some additional amusement as I observed Erik’s huge appetite by way of his lunch bag which (no word of a lie) was a giant grocery bag.  He never gained an ounce which amazed me considering how much he devoured!

Erik and I soon discovered mutual interests since he was half Danish.  When we got the chance we would go for lunch time walks and talk about family, work and Denmark.  Erik had a fine instinct for ethics and I soon found we had a similar way of thinking by way of moral code.  What can I say, I took a profound liking to this young man and had a motherly sympathy for him.  Both of us had a mutual friend and benefactor in a gentleman named Mark Brown so we were very happy to work together on our next big project.
When Erik met his future wife no one could have been happier than I and I was honoured to be asked to his wedding.  Two young children quickly followed; Erik moved on to other projects but we would hook up for a noon walk once in a while.  Retirement happened and my connection lapsed – mea culpa – my fault, not Erik’s.  Recently we connected again and I resolved to not be the one to break the link again. 
I write about Erik not only because I do consider him a friend of long standing but also to show that sometimes even the biggest proponent of friendship can make a slip (that would be me).  One should remember that “it’s not all about me”, others are equally sensitive to the fact that they may be the one who does all of the calling and keeping in touch.
Let that be a lesson – to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment