Saturday, June 16, 2018

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha


I think that quote is from a Cary Grant movie which I cannot for the moment remember the title of.  Marsha came into my life through a mutual friend who brought her to our first book club meeting.  I was all gung-ho on our book “The Red Tent” and had a binder with notes and to be honest, I went very school-marmish and frightened Marsha away for some little time.  Too strict but that loosened up very quickly as I realized that the book club should be more social than “intellectual”.
Marsha came back after a few months and I give her credit for reaching out to me beyond the book club since she recognized so many points of interest and empathy.  Marsha has an incredible knack of speaking and questioning people without in any way being invasive or “nosy”.  She has a gift of bringing people out and letting them tell their stories by gentle questioning and I am amazed to this day  by how often (almost always) she discovers a common denominator in her relationship with people.  I have never seen it anyone to the extent that I see this in Marsha.  A true gift that connects her to people in a remarkable way.

Marsha also is a friend who had no worries about having ladies join in when her husband was around.  And Bob and I got off on the right foot when I drove up to their house while he was shovelling the driveway.  I asked if I could help him as I had a shovel in my trunk (and I like shovelling to be weirdly honest).  He almost fell over backwards and said Marsha would kill him if she saw me shovelling.  I laughed and went on to the book club meeting but Bob and I had created a bond. 

Marsha and I not only like books but we are also very fond of movies and we used to go quite often to a show.  When her old job ended and she found a new one it put a lot of demands on her time which has put a little dent in our meetings.  And she and Bob became grandparents rather late in life but they have been the joy of their lives.  So time is more precious to us when we are together.  Recently Bob passed away very suddenly from cancer which was a shock to all of us.  Such a lovely, lovely man and as I miss him I cannot imagine how hard this must be for Marsha who has taken it with her usual grace and an inner strength that reminds me of Melanie in "Gone with the Wind". 

A friend to treasure indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment