Wednesday, June 6, 2018

And Then There Are the Ones Who Pick Me


In grade 12 a mature student came in to my life via Biology class.  She tells the story of how she saw me come in to class one day and she thought I “was dainty”.  She saw me in the gym during lunch hour and asked to join Silvia and I (Ranee lived close to school so would go home for lunch and join us later).  I said sure since I knew her from class.  Silvia and I were fascinated with Yvette because she was nearly 7 years older than us.  She taught us a lot about the rules of dating and what was “permissible”.  AND THAT’S ALL I’VE GOT TO SAY ABOUT THAT.  J 

Yvette was so lovely as to hook us up with some fellows who would take us to Grad because of course in Grade 12 even before Christmas every girl was concerned about getting asked to Grad otherwise it was impossible to go.  (Yep, those were the days when girls seldom asked out a guy and heaven forbid if you went dateless to The Grad!)

Yvette went on to marry her date and I went steady with his cousin for about half a year (but that’s another story).  We were pen pals for a while after I moved and then she moved first to Colorado and then to Phoenix.  Even though we were not the greatest at writing we stayed friends and last year before my diagnosis I had the pleasure of visiting Yvette in Phoenix with another mutual high school girlfriend.  Once again Yvette’s wisdom finally taught me how to make fudge!


And Yvette introduced me to my next friend!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment