Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Classmates, Reunions and Facebook


I have written about long-time friends and friendships which I know will last forever.  There are other friends who come into our lives, linger, pass out of them, and then can return again with even more meaning.

An ongoing experience for me has been connecting and reconnecting with my high school classmates through our first (25th) reunion.  Since then we have had a reunion every 5 years and in a couple of years we will be having our 50th reunion.  The committee of Barb, Liz, Michelle, Del, Lawrence and Marj (and me being honourary now) have been strong in keeping the reunions going.  I should make a note here to say that Manitoba / Winnipeg is not known for having reunions, unlike other places in the country.  Our class has been very special in having the original 25th and then keeping them going.  We are the envy of other classes and schools. 

Del and I were friends in high school but Barb and Liz I only knew from our being in the same small locker room.  We would have little chats but we were not hanging out kind of friends.  I didn’t know Michelle at all except through the hallways.  Today we are friends not just because of the committee but because we genuinely like each other.  Liz in particular has become a really good friend who I appreciate as a warm and loving spirit.  I admire Barb for her tremendous energy and organizing skills but she too is a really warm and loving person.  I love Michelle’s constant Facebook posts of her Mom and her sisters and her travel insights.  Del and his wife have been wonderful supports in my illness and I was truly touched by Del’s phone calls to me in the hospital. 

Beyond the committee I just feel so happy that Facebook’s original intent of keeping classmates connected has worked out for us.  I enjoy seeing so many of my classmates share experiences, support each other with a like, a comment and a share.  I have “friend envy” sometimes.  And lots of times I wish I were in Winnipeg so that I could develop stronger relationships with classmates.  I guess that is part of getting older and longing for our youth, for missed possibilities.  But Facebook – there is a really positive side to this social media.

Friendships can develop online just like old fashioned pen pals.  Aren’t we the lucky ones, Classmates?

No comments:

Post a Comment