Friday, June 15, 2018

And Now for the Book Club Gals


Now you have heard the book theme going through my friendships throughout this month but when I really began to look seriously at developing and keeping friendships for the long term I knew I had to find common denominators.  My darling sister Jeanette gave me the inspiration to start my own book club when she started her own.  Who would have thought she would be the first to do a book club given that she was not fond of books in her youth?  But her therapist had inspired her and she inspired me.  Forever grateful Nette as this has been one of my most treasured experiences, ventures and friendship circles.
Many gals have come and gone in the book club but the stalwarts have become remarkably strong in my life.  Sylvia, Marsha, Shamsh, Carol, Laura and Gillian to name my “life longers”.  But others are still there though somewhat distant of late, Marguerite and Christine.
Today I celebrate Sylvia who is another wise and wonderful woman.  Her insights into the books we read are invaluable and keep me thinking for days afterwards.  We also have a love of gardening and nature that binds us together.
Books brought us together but life keeps us REAL.  Our book discussions have frequently (almost always) led us into real life topics, our lives, philosophy and the dilemmas of solving world and simple problems.  Sylvia’s life is neither simple nor easy but she takes everything with amazing grace.  I think all of us ladies in the club feel honoured that she is able to share some of her trying circumstances and while we are all good listeners, me “Miss Fix It” will sometimes want to say a little too much.  Sylvia takes it all in stride and I feel certain she knows it comes from the heart and not out of sternness.  (Me, stern?  Oh my, have I ever been fooling my readers if they haven’t recognized some of my little foibles).
You will see a theme of “wisdom” coming out in my friendships.  As we get into our 50s and 60s we drop a lot of drama, a lot of nonsense and hopefully develop into the wise mentors and friends we were always meant to be.  Sylvia and Brenda have been 2 of those ladies for me – a slight bit older than I but with a treasury of wisdom far beyond those few years of age.  I value them highly.

1 comment:

  1. Wisdom, knowledge, the ability to analyze and later synthethisize facts is totally welded to reading and understanding books. The gift of reading, patiently and with devotion and love for the language, is what builds education and research, and the foundations of a society.

    ReplyDelete