Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 10 Jan 23/11 Sunday Contemplation of Flight

I spent last night dodging raindrops in my bed. The power went out some time during the night and my friends also had left the house while I was sleeping, presumably they went to the annual all night party at Portoveijo while I was sleeping and here it is 7 a.m. and they are still not back. I have a real sense of isolation from the world outside, the closest village is 30 minutes away but no bus goes there from here. There is a bus to Manta which is more than an hour away. There is also the isolation from my friends since we are extremely different personalities. They party all night and sleep all day so I find myself quite solitary most of the time.

Then there is the lack of internet access so while I may contemplate getting back to civilization faster than you can say Jack Robinson it is not very easy to do. If I could arrange my departure for next weekend I would be doing that now rather than blogging.

The beach is dirty and swarming with sand crabs and other unsavoury creatures and we girls have been advised not to go there alone so there is another avenue closed for my entertainment. I feel more lonely now than when I was travelling virtually alone in England. It’s not the fault of my friends, it is simply that we have little in common besides wanting to see Ecuador.

And right now I would kill for a cup of coffee!

1 comment: