Thursday, January 13, 2011

Vancouver - The Eagle Has Landed

Day 3 Jan 13 Seattle, Dallas, Miami, Quito HERE I COME

The Eagle has landed in Vancouver! Only 12 hours behind schedule. Luggage intact.

I am one of the most punctual people you will ever meet so the fact that I made such a huge mistake yesterday really prays on my mind. I hope I am not starting to degenerate into one of these forgetful seniors, always muddling around. Recently our book club read a very poignant novel called “Still Alice” which is about early onset Alzheimer’s. It was an incredibly sad story and what impressed me most powerfully was how quickly this vibrant, intelligent woman deteriorated into not knowing her own daughter. It is my mother’s worst nightmare, to not be herself, and after reading this book I am 100% in agreement. I used to consol her with my thought that senility was nature’s way of preparing humans for death but now I just think it is too painful.

A couple of nights ago I had lunch with a friend whose father is in the early stages of “forgetfulness” what they call “short term memory loss”. It really is scary.

The point of this is obvious. Please don’t let me be evidencing early stages! I have always been compulsive about checking my tickets; to think I didn’t even verify my ticket recently has me baffled. But I can assure one and all, I won’t ever forget to do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment