Saturday, January 15, 2011

Quito - Arrived

Quito We Are Here! Friday 8 p.m. Jan 14th

I nearly panicked when we were boarding at Miami. I noticed the boarding pass said 14th – after the person at the wicket tried to scan my pass and it said “seat invalid” – twice. I knew it was payday back home so I was thinking it was the 15th. Golly but I was alarmed for a good ten minutes.

And Barb got her little scenario – her seat was soaking wet!

After that it was clear sailing. In fact, we arrived about 10 minutes early. Barb managed to get us a cab for $6 plus $2 tip.

Our hostel is a large open room on the third floor of a casa; 4 beds set up military style under sloping roof. Enclosed toilet and shower, with the sink in the open area.

It was dark when we exited the airport so we only saw a little bit of night life. But coming in we saw the majestic Andes which was an awesome sight.

The cab ride was an experience, not because the driver wasn’t good, but I wondered “what was I thinking coming to a country without knowing the language?” Sure I know a lot of scattered words from watching the old westerns, but this is a different experience. Also, if I was separated from Barb I have no idea where I am supposed to be (i.e., name and location of her resort). We must get her to write down the address, Frank’s name, email address and phone number.ec

No comments:

Post a Comment