Saturday, January 8, 2011

Ecuador - South American Paradise - Countdown 4 sleeps


Alright, by now you are aware that I am a worrier. It’s in my genes, legitimately. My parents had 6 kids and whenever my dad heard sirens he would look around and mentally go “OneTwoThree, FourFiveSix”, all six kids accounted for and he could go back to his conversation (he was quite the talker, but that is for another story). When my brother Peter was 14 years old he asked if he could go out to see his friends and Dad said “Yes, but don’t cross the street.” He was 14 for crying out loud and we lived in a quiet neighbourhood with one car families! From this I have sprung.


What am I worrying about now? Weather. Let’s face it, the common remark about Southern Alberta weather is “Wait a couple of minutes and it will change.” Currently we are enjoying fabulous Chinook weather but I have 4 more sleeps before I get on the plane to Vancouver. Then I have to drive down to Seattle. From Seattle we go to Dallas. Then to Miami. Then to Quito. Follow me here, I have to stop in 4 major cities, all known for unpredictable weather patterns, from snow, more snow, hurricanes, hurricanes and more hurricanes. Alrighty then. Will our dear Lord be merciful and spare me from all the perils of weather?


By the by, if you want to read a hilarious piece on weather, read Mark Twain’s “The American Claimant”, The Foreword discusses weather and here’s a smidge of it:


No weather will be found in this book. This is an attempt to pull a book through without weather. It being the first attempt of the kind in fictitious literature, it may prove a failure, but it seemed worth the while of some dare-devil person to try it, and the author was in just the mood . . . .


You just have to love Twain!


But back to my weather!


I am a Girl Guide from way back when. I am prepared. I have friends in Calgary and will be spending the last 3 days with them so at least I will be that much closer to the airport. Alright, I am not sure how being in Calgary is going to make the plane go up in the air if there should be a blizzard, but somehow I know it will work out for me. I might be a worrier but I am also an optimist.


Does anyone know the snow dance to make it stop, or veer north? After all, the polar bears can use a lot more snow up there!


This picture is taken at the Golf Course down the street from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment