Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Week 2 Tuesday Jan 25th


I can now confirm that we are in the Rainy Season. Three nights in a row I have woken up to rain splashing near my head and feet. Therefore you may conclude that the contractors will be doing some repair work on the ceramic tile roof! Apparently my bedroom has the most leaks but I have been thoughtful enough to shove all my electronics under the bed before I suspected leakage problems. As I write I notice that I have another one on my shoulder!

Yesterday I had my third trip in to the little town of Montecristi where they are famous for making the original “panama” hats which they still make, along with other weavings like fans and baskets and such. They have several long and hilly streets which are loaded with merchandise for tourist trade. I bought some more alpaca scarves, some tablecloths and table runners. All are made here in Ecuador, very beautiful workmanship.

The plan for today is to spend an overnighter in Manta so we can shower and havea good meal in a restaurant. We are challenged with lack of electricity (again). This time the power has been out since Saturday night/Sunday morning hence the food in the fridge has all gone bad. Fortunately we have a gas stove so we are able to bowl water for coffee or tea but otherwise we are pretty limited. As well, I have had some discussions with our English speaking friend Miguel (a charming young man of 26 who is going to a European university in September) and I may be able to get a computer adaptor for about $50 and then get a 7 day unlimited card for $16 which will give me internet access anywhere in Ecuador. Or so they say. Given all our other challenges I would like to at least feel that I can be in touch with the outside world and thus keep my friends, family and followers posted on my adventures.

Now that we are entering week 2 of our trip I can give my first summary of impressions. Ecuador is a very lovely country with a wide ranging variety of landscapes. There are a lot of birds and butterflies and I haven’t yet been to the mangroves which are spectacular for variety of wild life. We will go there this weekend. But the wildlife includes a vast array of bugs which are attracted to our lights at dinnertime and the floor in the kitchen in the mornings is a slaughterhouse of dead bugs! I try not to think about what I may have consumed with my supper the night before. My friends have been eaten alive by mosquitoes and or other bugs but I think I have been saved because of the malaria pills that I am taking. In any event the ladies were concerned enough to make a visit to a doctor in Ecuador. The result was they both got an injection of some sort in their butts. I had declined to go in which is unfortunate because it would have been great to have gotten a blackmail picture of that procedure. J

The rain seems to be slowing down now but as my friends are still sleeping I don’t know when our trip will start. Most likely this afternoon since we have yet to have an early start.

Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment