Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 8 Jan 21 2011 A Word About Hats


The first day in Quito (technically the second day) when we went to Otavolda the sun was so strong that it was imperative that I get a hat because naturally I forgot to put my baseball cap in my suitcase. I didn’t like anything at the first kiosk but very quickly at the second i chose a wide brim straw hat with a pink weave pattern at the brim and a cherry ribbon around the crown. Instant relief that I was not going to get sunstroke! And consequent inconvenience everywhere we go! I’ve been forced to wear it a lot because any exertion is making me sweat so that my hair is soaking wet and thus I must conceal my bad hair days! But in buses and cabs I’ve had to wear it because there simply isn’t anywhere else for it but on my head. We’ve had so much baggage with us that the hat must inevitably stay on my head so there is even more perspiration going on! If I had been a bit more patient in choosing a hat I could have got an imitation panama hat. A true panama hat can roll up and be stored away with no harm to it. Barb and Wenda each got one of questionable authenticity but it does roll up for them.

Today I may be able to solve my problem. We are heading to Montecristi where the original panama hats are made. Ecuador is where the panama hat was first invented and Montecristi is associated with the manufacturing. Stay tuned for more on hats!

1 comment: