Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 4 Monday Jan 17/11 Bahiato Manta

8 a.m. The internet is down here so we will not be able to know if Chandal the realtor got our message, so it will be interesting this afternoon.

Meanwhile, we have to haul our luggage down 3 flights of stairs and take a cab 3 blocks to the bus depot. Then we are “directo” to Manta. I am excited to see the house, the beach and the Pacific Ocean for the first time. It is rather cool here in Quito in the evening and morning but of course, can one say 20 is cool when one came from -28? Unjust!

Shall attempt some typing on the bus, if the space is available. We have reserved seats by the window so we can enjoy the views so seems a shame to be sitting typing away. The commitment to a blog is huge folks.

I must admit that I have not given you a real flavour yet of Ecuador. First, the people are lovely, so beautiful with clear complexions, quite brown. They are always smiling though the children are serious looking just like their paintings of them illustrate. Our landlady has a little one about one year old, so cute. I tried to take a picture of a little girl on the bus yesterday but I didn’t want to be rude. When I am more local I will attempt to take a series of photos.

9 PM Plan B – again

This has been a long day’s journey into night – after a lot of anxiety as to where exactly the bus was taking us we got dropped off in a little town and redirected back to Bahia instead of Manta. And the reservation we had for the hostal in Bahia was never cancelled but as it turned out it was never held. Par for the course on this day – but I did say I wanted adventure but I think I’ve had a surfeit now!

We have been lost a lot but we have managed to find our way despite ourselves!

We had a lovely dinner and the 2 companions are downstairs chatting with our hostess. I want to finish this and get to bed. 10 hours on a bus reminds me of Romancing the Stone. I kept saying in my mind “Joan Wilder, the Joan Wilder?”

The trip was spectacular, hair pin turns all the way down the mountain, which took us more than 2 hours to descend. Then we were into what we might call foothills, but not quite rolling and yet not as sharply jagged as the higher mountains, and then we got to gentle hills and valleys and finally flatland, where we got dumped off. And now we are on a coastline, I think it is a bay or cove.

The rest will have to wait for manyana!

No comments:

Post a Comment