Saturday, April 16, 2011

All My Children and One Life to Live








GOODBYE

PINEVALLEY, LLANVIEW

& DENISENS THEREOF


Yesterday was a very sad day for me as I was driving home from work. I heard on the radio that All My Children had been cancelled and later that evening I watched Entertainment Tonight and discovered that One Life to Live had also been cancelled. For those not in the know, these are 2 soap operas that have been on since the late 1960’s. I’ve watched OLTL since I was 16 years old. The way I got hooked on it was simply that I would watch the tale end of OLTL as I was waiting for Dark Shadows (a spooky soap) to come on during the summer holidays. There happened to be a storyline going on at that time where Viki Lord had developed a split personality as Nicki Smith and it was a fascinating concept for me.



I actually watched AMC without knowing it way back when it was first launch. The big love story was Phil and Tara, and Erika (Susan Lucci) was the little nymphette spoiling the love story! Back then there were clear cut heroines and villainesses after the same hunky guys. Now all we will be left with is Y&R and Victor Newman (I want to kill myself). LOL



It’s the end of an era in real soap operas, children of Agnes Nixon probably the greatest soap writer of all time. A really sad day. I am going to miss Tad, Erika, Jack and all the other children on that soap. As for OLTL I have never reconciled myself to Viki and Clint breaking up over that stupid Colonel nor changing Clint’s character to that of a bad guy. I always adored Dorian and David’s storylines, they were hilarious together. And my 4 favorite love stories on that show – Viki & Clint, Tina and Cord, Gabrielle and Max and then Max and Luna. I could never understand why the killed of Luna as she was a very unique character.



And that is why the soaps have been dying. They have changed the writers and producers so often, people who have not followed the stories and changed them up so badly that viewers have tuned out. OLTL had a great couple in Bo and Nora and then a producer came along who had worked with Nora on another show and decided her love interest on that show had to be moved over to OLTL. Killed that story to pieces and it took 10 years to get her back with Bo. And now they are shutting them down. As for AMC, when they killed off Dixie for good (she had been dead a couple of time already) they destroyed more viewership. Dixie and Tad were my all time favourite super couple.



There won’t be anything to watch in the afternoons when I am sick with a cold or flu. I won’t be watching a food show or a lifestyle show. Boring.



A sad day indeed.


Good bye Pine Valley and Llanview. I shall miss you!



No comments:

Post a Comment