Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Enriching One's Life


It seems as though a person can go through so many phases in her life sectored by age and experiences. In my case I also had the regional split since we moved so many times throughout my childhood and teen years. My childhood friends have been left behind though we wrote for some years after we moved away. But more than 40 years later I still have my high school friends and reconnecting with even more. I just find that such a blessing, especially discovering how lovely these persons are. I feel lucky to have found them.


And then there are the people one meets through their careers and again I am lucky to have kept up friendships even though our work relationships parted many years ago. I feel particularly fortunate to have such a wide and interesting circle of friends.


“What is the meaning of life?” I’m pretty sure that the meaning of life is NOT to slave away for money only to die at 60 or thereabouts. I think that as civilized human beings we are meant to have a full and meaningful life, but it is up to each one of us to create that meaningfulness. For many years I have read books for pleasure but also for learning. I used to think that we needed to be prepared with knowledge for when we went to heaven so we could be the best angel possible. Now I think that reading brings you in contact with authors’ ideas and in that way you are also meeting new “friends”. It’s enriching one’s life.


Sometimes I am too conscientious about spending money but I have to tell you, I am really excited about my writing weekend. I just feel that I am stepping into a brand new world that has been in the shadows for most of my life. It’s exciting and scary at the same time. One thing is for sure though, I will be enriching my life just by having this special weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment