Monday, April 11, 2011

New Horizons


I will literally be looking at a new horizon this morning when I arrive at our new offices. I believe my office will overlook Prince’s Island and of course I will be able to watch the joggers and baby strollers while I peg away at my job. I will be unpacking something like 18 bins for myself and most likely bins for Anne and Lorne as well. But that’s alright, it will give me the workout which I attempted earlier this morning. I’ve got some sort of twinge happening on my right ankle so I stopped before it got worse. I have to walk about 6 blocks from the C-train to get to the new place so I suppose all in all there will be some exercise this morning!


It already feels cooler than yesterday morning as I opened up the door of the sunroom. Brrrr. Will spring ever get here?


But let’s not complain as we have this wonderful new office to enjoy and I’m back in the same building with my buddies Cristy and Jane. This office has what they are calling “focus rooms” or “break out rooms” and we have been encouraged to take our coffee there to enjoy this space. We already have plans to bring our little red notebooks with us and thus look extremely important as we imbibe coffee and look wise. We are so bad, but in a fun way! This reminds me a bit about how I used to carry around a legal file when I walked around the office of the first law firm I worked at. We had a German office manager who really behaved like a Nazi by not allowing us to leave our desks for any sort of break and so I would pretend to take the file to a colleague and be consulting them on a file. I called it my decoy but when I was training a girl to take over my position and I showed her the cover story she started calling it her “deek” and that is the word that stuck in my head. I’ve never had to use this strategy until now when I have used the little red book as my deek just to amuse myself and my friends. As chance would have it my friend Jane told me her dad advised her to use a clipboard and then she would look like a boss. So I have to wonder, are we fooling anyone but ourselves?


Ah, my laugh of the day, the joke is on me! I love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment