Saturday, April 23, 2011

Mother Nature Smiles

Yesterday was a great day, wonderful visit with Silvia and to top off the day we experienced the amazing sight of seeing two swans nesting across the street from my house. Over the years I have seen plenty of ducks and geese nesting and one year I saw a loon but this is the first time I’ve seen swans. They are enormous and their necks can do amazing things! I looked out the window this morning to see if they were still there and yes, they are still there. It’s thrilling and I just hope that the cars up and down the road won’t stop and gawk and frighten them away.

It’s early yet but it looks like we are going to have some great sunshine today and so far there is no wind. I plan on getting out for a long walk right after I write my story.


I asked Silvia “what is a baby swan called?” We couldn’t think of the name and so called them swanlings. Of course they are really called cygnets but I had to look it up as I couldn’t remember or remotely recall the name. Why are they called cygnets I have no idea but it must be out of the French as it sounds very French. My my, just glanced at questions and the male is a Cob, the female a Pen and they are Flocks. Good to know (like I’ll remember).


I think the swans are a lucky sign for a good spring. The plan for the day is to spend it outside and clean up the yard as it is very dull and dirty. When I take away all the dead leaves covering the garden patches I hope to see some green struggling through. I may even see some tulips starting up. I notice that the irises and tigerlilies are already well up. They are the hardiest of my flowers. I struggle with the idea of digging out of my front bed but I think I will have to if I am going to have the entry that I am dreaming of.


Well enough chat, today is a day for working outdoors and daylights burning. (In case you don’t know where that comes from, it’s from John Wayne’s The Cowboys and he actually says “your burning daylight” and the young fellow looks around and says “where’s the sun?” as it is still pitch dark. A cute moment).



Here are the swans across from the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment