Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Bad Habits


It is pretty obvious that I am a creature of habit. In fact a friend of mine once said that I needed “structure” in my life. It’s true. I tend to want things to go a certain way once there is a “plan”.


They say that habits are formed within 3 weeks but I think when it comes to bad habits they are formed in 3 hours. In the case of chocolate, 3 minutes! Seriously though it is much easier to develop a bad habit, such as being a couch potato, than it is to be an exercise freak. Yesterday Richard Simmons had a great article on energy and his belief is that energy is a state of mind. I think he is correct because I know I sit in my chair watching TV and telling myself “I’m so tired” until I really believe it. But the truth is I am not tired, I am just lazy. It has gotten into such a state that even when I am home early, the sun is shining and I am energized I will still sit and tell myself that I am tired.


And now I am starting to feel my heart pumping sluggishly. It’s probably all in my mind but I have become alarmed and so I am asking myself “are you going to wait for a heart attack before you do something?” If it was someone else that is what I would be asking and trying to encourage them to get moving and doing. Why can I not motivate myself?


I think we all believe that we are invincible and that we are not really going to die. God will intervene on our behalf. We are special. Well shame on me. It’s time to do all the things I know I ought to do and stop with all these bad habits. (I’m too embarrassed to list them all!) So here’s to finishing breakfast and getting on the treadmill before I get dressed and showered. I can do this!


This is a Beatrix Potter drawing. Don't you love that scowl?

No comments:

Post a Comment