Thursday, April 7, 2011

Skip to My Lou, My Darling


Approaching the end of the week and the end of working at the “wrong” end of town. Apparently many downtowners feel that once you are past 5th Street you are going downhill. Our new building is between 2nd and 3rd Street and we are going to be a hop, skip and a jump from Prince’s Island. Get ready for some serious walking. Come on sunshine, come on heat, we are waiting for you to get us out there to enjoy our Vitamin D.


Yes, I am really starting to get spring fever and my body is crying out for some real workouts. Meanwhile let me tell you , my brain is getting such a workout it is saying “stop already”. Last night I started to read about Keynesian economics (yeah, forget nuclear physics, PAINFUL) and I went to bed with a headache! Fortunately I had bought the latest O magazine and was pleasantly surprised to find a truly delightful section edited by Maria Shriver on Poetry. As I may have mentioned, I took up Haiku last winter as a step to exercise this old brain against Alzheimer’s and I’ve had a lot of fun with it. Every once in a while I pick up my Emily Dickinson, in fact I read quite a lot of her poems when I was in Ecuador, but I must admit that poetry reading is not my strong suit. I’ve tried to memorize poems but my brain protests. It’s as though it rejects hard work when it knows it doesn’t have anything to do with my real life.


But that has got to change. I am steadily working my way through the maze of work as I approach my retirement years and poetry, nature and gentleness will be the order of the day. Stop laughing, I can be gentle. (This reminds me of The Nanny when Fran was trying to be demure! She was so cute).


Retirement


Twilight no, but a new dawn nears


Smile through the tears


No comments:

Post a Comment