Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Young at Heart


I looked in the mirror when I got up a few minutes ago and thought I looked pretty wild and haggard. Then I thought “well, I’m not a movie star so I look pretty good for my age”. That led me first to think of Sophia Loren. She was on Jack Cravat’s show in the early 80’s at which time she must have been in her 50’s. I recall thinking she looked pretty darn good for her old age! J Then I thought about Lauren Bacall in the movie “The Mirror has Two Faces” when she tells her daughter (Barbara Streisand) that she still feels young inside. That’s how I feel. I still call myself a girl and I still call my friends “girls”.


Isn’t that the best way to go through life? To feel young at heart?


Some days though I do feel like an old fogey (just saying that term makes me sound old). When I was coming home on the train last night I stopped myself after I had been looking at the high school students with disgust. One of them had sat on the outer edge of the seat and didn’t budge to allow a woman to sit down on the inner side. It was cloddish, to say the least. I thought to myself as I looked out the window that I shouldn’t show disgust because it was a signing of judging which isn’t very nice and just made me feel old! (However, I must say that it’s not just young people who can be clods. I was also sitting on an outer edge and then the inside person made motions to get out – no “excuse me” or other verbal communication emitted from his throat. I’ve noticed this frequently happens and I think to myself “why does a person have to be so lazy and so rude, what’s the big deal to let the outer person know they would like to get out?” People really have lost all sense of common courtesy, why is that?)


This isn’t a lecture on manners but on youngness. Even though my outside is looking older than a spring chicken, inside I am still full of vim and vigour and I like it that way.


Life, bring it on!


No comments:

Post a Comment