Monday, April 4, 2011

Living in the Fast Lane


Today I begin driving to Calgary rather than taking the commuter bus. I am hoping this step will be better for my body as I can feel that “pinched sciatic nerve” starting to take effect again. This is part of my long term planning for my retirement, to ensure that I have a healthy body in retirement so I can continue to do the things that I like and want to do. Notice I said “continue” which means that I am planning to be a little more aggressive in doing things even now.


I am a pretty timid creature who does not like to take risks. What I mean by that is how I find it difficult to do things after work during the work week because I have this compulsive need to go directly home which means that I end up saying no to extracurricular activities. A lot. Now during the winter it is quite legitimate because I also have a dread of driving in the dark. But in the summer time I hope that I can manage to go out a little bit more often even on a week night. Wow, don’t I sound wild and exciting? It might seem tame to many of you but for me it is wild and exciting!


Most of us, if not all of us, heck, yes, all of us, lead mundane lives. We work, we go home to cook supper, we eat, we watch a little television or we clean the house a bit and then we go to bed to start all over again in the morning. A treadmill kind of life. Is this all there is? Not according to Oprah with her “Living your best life” motto. We need to embrace that other side of ourselves. The one we seemed to have left behind us, somewhere in the halls of our high school. In a few weeks I will be walking the halls of my old school and I will try to find the ghost of Sanne past.


Look out for the girl living in the fast lane!


No comments:

Post a Comment