Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Earth Mothers Awake


The fast lane is too fast! I am really a mellow sort of person. I like my days to be predictable and organized. When I get phone calls on a week night that send me into turmoil, well, I am in turmoil. Like most women I take on other people’s problems and for what? I cannot solve the problems and all I do is get a sleepless night out of it! I’m the kind of person that can get distraught over a movie or a book to the point of dreaming about them and waking up with all sorts of anxiety problems.


So how to solve this personality problem? I don’t think there is a way to solve it and I should just embrace my nurturing side. All well and good, but what do you do when you haven’t slept all night and still have to go to work the next day? I think this is what makes women so cranky and stressed out in the work place. The work place is not our natural state of being. We were made to be the hearth keeper, to stay home and solve the problems of the family.


That sounds very chauvinistic, doesn’t it? We’ve discussed this dilemma in book club and at home a few times. A woman may spend years getting an advanced education so she will have a career but all she really wants is a baby! If she isn’t looking for a professional career she is caught up in our material world, wanting all the things she sees on “Dynasty”. The truth is, we have too much stuff. We have too many clothes and we eat way too much.


Alright, I am depressing you, I’m sorry. The truth is I got a phone call last night which upset me quite a bit but I am not at liberty to write about it so I am circling around it and that is why you are being inflicted with this muddy reflection of woman’s lot in life. Interesting choice of words but quite apropos. Don’t you think you are often stuck in the middle of someone else’s life (read here “husband’s life”). Women are often at the mercy of a husband’s career or simply, LIFE. So she doesn’t have a life of her own and before she knows it she is trapped and doesn’t know how to get out. In some ways a woman is really no more liberated today than she was 100 years ago in Victorian times because a woman’s essential nature hasn’t really changed. She is still the Earth Mother protecting her family.


Sounds depressing? Well, it isn’t really if you think about all the great mothers on this planet, including yourself! There, I have come around and am cheerful again. Think about that today. You are a great person, caring for the world. Go girls, go!


No comments:

Post a Comment