Monday, December 17, 2018

Decorating a Tree


The youngest brother was over last evening to put up and decorate the tree. I had said “no tree this year” and Erik said “If Amanda and I put it up, decorate it and take it down, can we have one?” Well, okay, I agreed grudgingly. However when they came over I was in there like a dirty shirt, putting hooks on the new bulbs I had bought 2 years ago, going downstairs and hauling up other decorations, putting on Christmas music and generally enjoying myself hugely. It does not pay to be a Grinch at Christmas. What is nice is the good fellowship of family as we prepare to celebrate the family time of the year.
 For most people Christmas is not the holy time of yore, it is a time to eat, drink and be merry. We can be philosophical and say “Jesus wasn’t even born in December; this time of year is the Viking winter solstice celebration; and so on and so forth”. However for myself I do like to think about the holy side of Christmas, about the nativity story and the ultimate theme which is that there is hope for Peace on Earth.
As my mama always says “we can always hope.”

No comments:

Post a Comment