Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Fifty Years of Friendship


Today is my best friend’s birthday and 50 years ago I attended her Sweet Sixteen. It is hard to believe that 50 years have gone by but the mirror tells a different story.
I am sure there are other Fifty Year Friendships but few have the unusual twist that ours has. Ninette and I met in high school while my father was transferred by Burns Foods to Montreal to trouble-shoot at the plant there. We were only there for 9 months (July to March). Ninette and I only knew each other for 7 of those months, sharing the same home room and art class. But she sat across the aisle from me and we smiled at each other and that was it. We would have lunch together with some other friends but Ninette and I shared a sense of humour that could make us laugh at the most peculiar stories. She is a wonderful storyteller and I would listen to her enthralled by her tales. I would repeat some of my father’s hilarious anecdotes (past and present) which had her in stitches.
Then we got the news that we were being transferred back to Winnipeg and Ninette gave me her address so I could write to her. Which I did. A letter from her quickly followed. We have shared nearly 50 years of correspondence most of which happened on a weekly or bi-monthly basis. Seldom did two weeks pass without a letter, in all these years. And that is what is amazing. We have been through thick and thin, travels abroad, children, illness, anxiety, job loss, family woes, business crises, you name it and we have been through it. But never, ever has there been a cross word, a misunderstanding or anything of a negative nature that could have jeopardized this friendship.
Truly God smiled down on us the day we smiled at each other.
My cup runneth over in gratitude and love for this lovely, charming woman who is my FRIEND.

No comments:

Post a Comment