Saturday, December 8, 2018

Who'da Thunk


The other day I wrote a blog on stupidity and I was astonished to see that it had 152 hits in one day! Normally I get between 20 to 30 hits a day. I think it was because the title I used has been used by others (it’s a common enough phrase, after all). I am only hoping that those who travelled to my blog actually read it and got some amusement out of it, as well as some enlightenment.
I know what you all are thinking “is she going to start using phrases to get hits”? Well, it did cross my mind but the truth is I like to be original. To quote from a Georgette Heyer novel “she does have an odd kick in her gallop” is more in my line!
Tomorrow I am going to write about Climate Change but for today I want to make a suggestion for my readers – ask yourself and do some research into what an individual can do to make a difference. I say this because I have been listening to some eminent scientists with respect to climate change but they speak on such a high level (and rightly so) that they do not get into the nitty gritty of every day lives and what we can do.
I recognize that there are plenty of books and others (not scientists) who make suggestions which is all very well and good but what I would like to know is this – what things can people do on an annual basis that would show how significant those changes were. In other words if I, for example, chose to not drive at least one day a week what would that do annually with respect to reduced carbon emissions? If a whole nation made that choice how soon would they reach the Paris Accord targets? Then let’s say everyone chose to have at least one plant based meal per day, how would that add up? (and plant based meal means, unfortunately, that you cannot have Havarti on toast for breakfast because cheese is not plant based, darn it all!)
If people opted out of driving trucks and chose smaller cars instead how much would that improve our score? I can remember how amazed we were when we moved from Kitchener to Calgary back in 1976 to see so many pickup trucks in a city. We could not get over it and to this day I am puzzled as to why city dwellers think they need a truck.
Well, that is the creative question of the day – find out what you can and consider what changes you are willing to make of your own accord. You will surprise yourself in realizing it is not as inconvenient as it may first appear!
FYI – I chose to park my car once a week 10 years ago; I hang dry my laundry all summer; Mom breakfasts plant based every day (jam on her own homemade bread) and since my illness driving is reduced to “as needed” only. My vehicle is also considered “green”. All my lights are LED in the home. But where I fail, I do run my furnace a lot since I am very vulnerable to cold (even before my illness). So I am not a saint, but I try. J

No comments:

Post a Comment