Sunday, December 16, 2018

Something Old


I am a sentimentalist, no big surprise to my readers. Christmas time brings out the nostalgia in a big way for me. First of all I usually start Christmas things on November 15th by addressing all my Christmas cards. The last couple of years I have been a little tardy about it but I managed to get most of my cards mailed yesterday to those near and far. Christmas isn’t Christmas without the cards, in my book.
Then there used to be all the baking which has quietly gone by the wayside this year. There will be some special baking but it will be done in the moment. That’s a new tradition.
But the most important part to warm up the cockles of the winter dried heart is the movies. Mom is a bit of a Grinch at Christmas time; she is not fond of the decorating, the baking, the gifting and most of all, the movie watching. But I insist on seeing my favorites one by one. Miracle on 34th Street (I will always love Maureen O’Hara, my absolute favorite actress); It’s a Wonderful Life (I love Clarence and his bell); Love Actually (who doesn’t love Hugh Grant’s little dance); Last Holiday (I adore Queen Latifah, particularly in this movie) and Holiday with Kate and Cameron. One movie that I want to see this year and have a hard time finding is The Bells of St. Mary’s with Bing Crosby.
A cup of hot chocolate or hot cider, my special cheese buns, a little sherry (yep,  a little sip of sherry is so, so part of the moment) and I am good for the next 2 hours!
“I believe, I believe. It’s silly, but I believe”.

No comments:

Post a Comment