Thursday, December 20, 2018

Salute to an Artist


My readers will recognize by now that one of my favorite artists is Jessie Wilcox Smith. As a sentimentalist I find that her drawings apt fit many of my more whimsical blogs. And of course since most of them use children it adds an extra little poignancy to the article (I fondly hope).
She was born in 1863 and passed away in 1935 and remarkably did not discover her artistic talent until she was 20!  She is considered one of the greatest illustrators in the Golden Age of Illustration when magazines were at their height and ongoing stories were regularly featured in the magazines. She graced every printed cover of Good Housekeeping from December 1917 through April 1933, becoming the artist with the longest run of illustrated magazine covers. She created a total of 184 illustrations of family scenes for the magazine.
She was an exceptional artist / illustrator and I am grateful that her work is in the public domain!

No comments:

Post a Comment