Friday, December 28, 2018

Reflecting on the World Stage


On a personal level 2018 treated me quite well. On the world stage, however, I found myself getting more and more concerned as populism gained footholds in many countries. It became obvious to me that the man in the White House was not normal, not at all. What would that mean globally as his tweets became ever more unreasonable, weird and simply off the wall? Closer to home I noticed that the media was not calling out our so-called conservative candidates on outright, barefaced lies.
The world is going mad and no one seems to be noticing it. I posed a question to John and Mom the other day “Do you think anyone besides ourselves are seeing parallels between the 1920’s and today?” John started pontificating about everything we already had talked about and I tried to stop him “Get back to the actual question, John.” Ultimately he said “no”.
I ask my readers to do a little research on what was happening globally in the 20’s and 30’s of the last century and start comparing the rhetoric to the words of today. It has me very concerned indeed. We can say it many times but our world leaders do not seem to be paying attention; if they are we are not getting the lessons, warnings and solutions that we ought to be receiving from those who govern us. With one notable exception. I listened to Queen Elizabeth’s Christmas message and she did, very diplomatically, point out that we can do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment