Tuesday, December 11, 2018


Just as I was putting my boots in preparation for another appointment I hear this crash. There was our little Kitsy jumping on a shelf with a bunch of potted plants, three of which are super heavy pots but somehow she was fat enough to suddenly make everything crash to the floor pots, shelf, the whole shebang.  Good night, several branches of the jade broke off as well as 20 or so leaves. Mercifully the pots did not break. While I was gone Mom managed to sweep everything up and when John got back he helped set the shelf back up as well as putting the pots back on.
My task was researching how to propagate jade from broken branches and fallen leaves. It is quite the process, simple enough but it takes at least of couple of weeks to see if the branches and leaves will form a dry end with roots coming out. I had rooting compound which helps the process so we are anxiously watching the plant to see if anything is coming but of course ‘the watched pot never boils’. Early days, I know and I will have to patient.
I just hope that some will take root and we can have a bunch of nice little plants to start a new generation. Interestingly enough the big jade plant I have was a gift from my girlfriend and it was just a wee think amongst a number of other small plants in a big urn. It has really thrived.
I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment