Sunday, February 3, 2019

Ambulances


It is a frightful thing to discover blood in your stoma or elsewhere. Friday night I had a panic and after an hour of bleeding I thought I should call the ambulance which immediately set Mom off as she cannot take any sort of medical emergency without falling to pieces. I felt bad for her but I was more scared for myself so it had to be done. While I waited for the ambulance I called my brother to let him know what was happening (it was about 6 p.m.)  He was ready to come and get me or stay with Mom but I said no that he should wait until there was more news.
So I had set the family into agitation and I felt (and still feel) bad about that however I know they would not be happy if they were kept in the dark either.
I will say what I have said in the past, I am extremely grateful to be living in Alberta since the health care system is amazing and those who take care of us are so very, very kind. It took some time to get all the information collected, blood tests and viewing the situation and at last the senior doctor on call was in my room, took one quick look at my stoma and said that the bleeding was external, not internal (thank heavens) and they cauterized around it with silver nitrate. Let me tell you that it hurt quite a lot but I was brave. J J I only moaned once.
The EMS folks as always were professional, calming and kind. I am very grateful for all the help I received and I am grateful that “situation normal” is still at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment