Friday, February 1, 2019

George Washington


I have started back on my online course on the American Revolution and hope to finish it soon. The other day the session was on George Washington and I got some more insight into this American icon of virtue I had read “Potomac Squire” by Elswyth Thane a couple of years ago and this session only verified what a really remarkable man Washington was and how protective he was about his reputation.
One of the reasons why I took this particular course was because I was very interested in understanding their beloved constitution and the obsession with their amendments, particular the second amendment. For those living under a bushel that is the one that gives every citizen the right to bear arms. I would suggested that 250 years later maybe America could take a look at that one and say:
Let’s join the rest of the industrialized world and say no to bearing arms, after all, we are the greatest country in the world so why should we need protection from each other?”
I don’t know what George Washington would think about that but he was a sensible man and I feel certain that he would be appalled at individuals being allowed to own assault rifles. Below are 2 articles which seem to agree with my thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment