Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Revisiting Agatha Christie


I managed to find the bin where my mystery books were stored and pulled out a few Agatha’s for gentle reading. Agatha is at her best when she deals with murder and not as great when she goes into spy stories. As well her earlier works are more ingenious than the ones she did late in her career but overall I love re-reading her books and have done so for years. Like Georgette Heyer, Leslie Ford and Mary Roberts Rinehart she is one of my “comfort writers” that I will read when I don’t want to concentrate on anything intense. I don’t know how many other readers have this tendency but sometimes I like to coast through a book.
Erik was saying “but there’s no suspense once you’ve read it” but I say, “it’s the ambience of the story that comforts me”. If instead of having re-read the books I have I had read a new book I would like have read another 25% of books (or even more).
What can I say I am quirky!

No comments:

Post a Comment