Thursday, February 7, 2019

Populism, Nationalism and other Isms


We are living in a volatile time and often I feel disturbed by what we hear on the news not just here in Canada but in America and around the globe. I remember when I was campaigning back in 1993 one of my colleagues said to me that I should remember that in hard times people are looking for someone to blame and someone to save them.
Slogans can be handy things for politicians but it is also what one can call “word whiskers” that tickle the ear. It is remarkably easy to get a group of people to switch from being an audience to becoming a mob. We only have to look at history to know this is a fact.
I hope that readers will always take a second or even third look and listen before they are swayed in doing something that perhaps isn’t the norm for them. At the end of the day I always err on the side of the positive and have faith that most people are good and just want to be happy.
We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment