Sunday, February 10, 2019

Black History Month


Last year I found myself weeping day after day as I watched various programs documenting Black History. I kept looking over at Mom and saying “it makes me so sad and so upset”. She couldn’t understand why I was so upset since it “wasn’t my truth” but in reality, racism is all of our collective truth because whether we have it or not we are living in a world that has it. The onus is on us every single day to say no to acts that we believe are motivated by hate, dislike, racism, whatever you want to call it. Ditto for homosexuality.
We are CIVILIZED PEOPLE and I insist that it is possible for us to tolerate individuals for who they are without judgment or reservation. I will believe with my last breath that we, the people, are better than this. We are not perfect but we are not subhuman. Giving in to intolerance is wicked, simply wicked.
These “nationalist” or “populist” right-wing politicians here in Canada (and around the globe) should be boo’d out of even running for office. Basement religion has no place in politics nor in society. Jesus Christ would never have been intolerant and if you religious folks would bother to listen to the lectures on both the Old and New Testaments you would understand how manipulated “the Word” really is. So NO – religion as such has no place in this conversation of tolerance except TO BE TOLERANT.

No comments:

Post a Comment