Monday, February 11, 2019

Mr. Rogers' Neighbourhood


How odd that after the above post I should be watching a two hour documentary on one of the nicest human beings in recent history – Fred Rogers.  He went on television as Mr. Rogers in 1968 and while I did not watch it I know my youngest siblings did and I would hear his song “It’s a beautiful day in the neighbourhood” many mornings before going to school. His program was one that reinforced a daily message that each child is special in their own way. I know how valuable that lesson is because I have noticed that when an adult looks into a child’s eyes and actively listens to whatever the child is saying, that child blossoms.
What I found outstanding that there appeared to be a protest against Mr. Rogers at one point where he was seen as someone who had created entitlement in children.  What, entitlement in children because you tell them they are special? It shocks me to think that people can tear down someone good and kind.
As much as I like to believe that people are essentially good, that they simply want to be happy, I suppose I have to accept that there are sociopaths out there who walk among us and appear to be normal. But mostly I just want to walk and believe in Mr. Rogers’ neighbourhood.
Live and let live.

No comments:

Post a Comment